Modak is the favorite sweet of lord ganesha. there are many types of modak prepared during ganesh chaturthi. but the most famous maharashtrian modak is steamed modak or ukadiche modak made from rice flour. many sweet shops serve ready mava modak or peda modak in maharashtra. in some shops advance orders are taken for preparing modak.
if you plan to prepare sweets for lord ganesha then modak and ladoos are two sweets which are must. you can make either boondi ladoo, rava ladoo, besan ladoo or coconut ladoo.
1. steamed modak or ukadiche modak – (most popular modak recipe – step by step post)
2. fried modak – (step by step modak recipe)
3. rava modak or semolina modak – (this is an easy modak recipe as no frying or steaming of the modaks is required)
4. chocolate modak – prepared mainly from 3 ingredients chocolate, mawa/khoya and sugar.
5. dry fruits modak – sweet dumplings made from rice flour and stuffed with mixture of mawa, poppy seeds, coconut and dry fruits.
6. sweet kozhukattai – south indian recipe variation of modaks made with a stuffing of chana dal, coconut and jaggery.