This French Onion Dip recipe is easy to make, lightened up a bit, and irresistibly delicious! See notes above for possible ingredient variations
FRENCH ONION DIP INGREDIENTS:
To make this homemade French onion dip recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Onions: Yellow or white, and either diced or thinly-sliced, caramelized in butter or olive oil. You’ve got options! 😉
- Garlic: Which we will briefly sauté in with those caramelized onions.
- Sour cream: I like to use light sour cream, but full-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt would also work.
- Fresh herbs: I love adding fresh chives and fresh thyme into this recipe, but dried thyme would also work.
- Worcestershire: To give this dip some extra umami goodness.
- Salt and pepper: For seasoning.
HOW TO MAKE ONION DIP:
To make this caramelized onion dip recipe, simply…
- Caramelize the onions. In either butter or olive oil, sauté the onions — being sure to stir them every 2-3 minutes or so — until they are caramelized and a deep golden color. Then pop them in the fridge for about 15 minutes to cool. (If you want to speed up this process, spread them out in a thin layer on a plate and freeze for about 7 minutes!)
- Combine. Then mix the cooled onions with the remaining ingredients.
- Season. Give the dip a taste and see if it needs any extra S&P and/or Worcestershire.
- Serve (or store). Then serve it up, garnished with your desired toppings, and enjoy! This dip will also keep in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 3 days.