This is a Polynesian spin on a traditional dessert. Known as Hawaiian Ambrosia, this fruit salad contains the usual mandarin oranges, coconut, miniature marshmallows, non-fat yogurt, and fruit cocktail mix, but adds the pineapple, raisins, and pecans, imparting its Hawaiian flavor. This image depicts a small side dish containing a single serving of the salad taken from the larger bowl.’ Ambrosia’ originated in the 1900s and had a period of popularity in the U.S.
It is widely considered to be a traditional dish, suitable for family gatherings.
- 4 cups of mandarin oranges drained
- 2 cans of pineapple drained
- 6-8 cups miniature marshmallows
- 3 cups whipping cream
- Mix the mandarin oranges and grapes, fruit cocktail, in a large bowl.
- Fold in the whipped cream, sour cream, and marshmallows.
- Chill for at least an hour.
- Stir again before serving.