Once again we are here for you with our new series, Pie Series. We will try to increase this series more than week, as our previous series are one week longer.
Today we will make Banana pie series, it is a pastry shell pie filled with fresh sliced bananas in a vanilla pudding type base. A layer of whipped cream is added to the top.Let’s start today recipe 🙂
- 230 ml (1 cup) all purpose flour
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt
- 50 ml (10 teaspoons) solid vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) distilled white vinegar
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) cold water
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg, whipped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Mix flour and salt. Cut shortening into the flour/salt mixture with a pastry cutter, until mixture resembles the texture of tiny peas.
- In separate bowl, whisk the egg, vinegar and water until well mixed.
- Drizzle water/egg mixture into flour mixture. Stir with fork, stir until dough is formed.
- Gather dough into a ball, flatten into a 10 cm (4 inch) wide disk. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into 20 cm (9 inch) circle and place in a 20 cm (9 inch) pie pan.
- Line the unbaked pie shell with foil or parchment paper, fill with dried beans or rice.
- Bake at 220 °C (425 °F) until light golden brown (about 15 – 18 minutes).
- Cool before filling.
- In the top of a double boiler, whisk together sugar, flour, salt and milk. Stir out any lumps.
- Bring water to boiling in lower portion of double boiler.
- Stir constantly until mixture is thickened, about 5-minutes.
- Place lid on mixture and continue cooking for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Beat egg in a small bowl. Add about 1/2 cup of hot pie filling mixture to egg in bowl and stir well. This tempers the egg so it won’t scramble when added to the hot pie filling.
- Pour tempered egg mixture into pan of hot pie filling. Stir constantly and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla. Stir until mixed.
- Slice 2 bananas. Dip slices in lemon juice, shake off excess and distribute banana slices in the bottom of baked pie shell.
- Pour half of pie filling over bananas in bottom of pie shell. Make sure banana slices are covered by pie filling.
- Slice remaining 2 bananas. Dip in lemon juice, shake off excess and arrange on top of filling in pie.
- Pour remainder of pie filling over second layer of bananas in pie shell. Cover all bananas with filling.
- Chill for about 1 hour before adding topping.
- In a large bowl, whip cream with electric mixer until peaks are just forming.
- Beat vanilla and sugar into cream and continue mixing until peaks form in cream.
- Don’t over beat the mixture or it will form lumps and begin to turn to butter.
- Spread whipped cream mixture over pie filling on chilled pie. Keep chilled until served.
The pie filling is quite hot when pouring it into pie shell. Keep this pie refrigerated.
If you like the recipe don’t forget to share with others 🙂
Become a Coffee Sponsor
If you like content, then you can buy me a coffee and become a coffee sponsor. With the help of coffee sponsorship, I will able to make great content! Thank you