I am back with a new pie recipe for Pie Series. Today we are going to make Radish Pie. It sounds weird but not in taste. Radish pie is a savory pie appropriate for a vegetarian diet. Radishes, fresh goat cheese, and walnuts give the pie a special taste, which is most flavorful when served cold. So let’s start today’s recipe
- 1 to 2 bunches red radishes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter, divided
- 8 ounces (227g) phyllo dough
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons dry sherry wine
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 yolk
- 3/4 cup (177ml) heavy cream
- 4 ounces (113g) fresh goat cheese
- 3/4 cup (177ml) broken walnut pieces
- 1/3 cup (80ml) fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Wash the radishes well, remove and discard tops. Put radishes into a small baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for about an hour. Let them cool and then cut into small dice. (See tip #2 below.)
- Use half the butter to grease a pie pan, and then line it with pieces of phyllo dough, covering the pan evenly. Tuck under any stray bits to make a nice edge.
- Heat the remaining butter in a large pan and sauté the onion in it for about five minutes. Add the wine and diced radishes, then cook for another minute. Remove from heat and pour into the pastry shell.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs and cream, and then pour over the vegetables in the pie crust. Crumble the goat cheese over the cream.
- Bake the pie in a preheated oven at the aforementioned temperature for 20 minutes.
- Add the walnuts and cook for another 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and top it with the chopped parsley.
- Let cool completely before serving.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Notes, tips, and variations
- Tip 1: Use fewer radishes for a milder taste, or add more according to your own taste.
- Tip 2: The radishes can be baked the day before and then refrigerated until you make the pie.
- Tip 3: For a professional look, garnish each serving with a sprig of parsley.
If you like the recipe don’t forget to share with others
Become a Coffee Sponsor
If you like content, then you can buy me a coffee and become a coffee sponsor. With the help of coffee sponsorship, I will able to make great content! Thank you