We have started other Did You Know Series, vegetable facts. Today we will talk about Potato facts. The potato is a root vegetable native to the Americas. Potatoes were introduced to Europe from the Americas in the second half of the 16th century by the Spanish. Today they are a staple food in many parts of the world and an integral part of much of the world’s food supply. As of 2014, potatoes were the world’s fourth-largest food crop after maize (corn), wheat, and rice. Let’s have some interesting facts in brief
Did you know these facts about Potato?
- Potatoes are vegetables however they contain a lot of starch (carbohydrates) that make them more like rice, pasta, and bread in terms of nutrition.
- Much like rice, wheat, and maize (corn), potato crops are an essential part of the world’s diet.
- The word potato comes from the Spanish word patata.
- Potato plants are typically pollinated by insects such as bumblebees.
- Potatoes contain a range of nutritional vitamins and minerals.
- There are lots of distinctive potato types however not all are commercially available, famous ones include Russet, Yukon Gold, Kennebec, Desiree, and Fingerling.
- While the function of genetic modification is up for debate, research has led to genetically modified potato types that have potential advantages such as increased protein and resistance to viruses.
- Based on 2010 statistics, China is the leading producer of potatoes.
- Potatoes don’t store very well after buy however they are relatively easy to grow.
- Potato storage services are saved at temperatures above 4 °C (39 °F) as potato starch turns into sugar and alters the taste below this temperature.
- Potatoes are prepared and served in many different ways, including boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, French fries, and hash browns.
- French fries contain a lot of fat so don’t consume too many!
- Potatoes are normally served hot, however sometimes cold in the form of potato chips or potato salad.
- Despite fitness concerns, potato chips are one of the most frequent snack ingredients in the world with billions of packets being eaten up each year.
- One of the essential motives of the Great Famine in Ireland between 1845 and 1852 used to be a potato disorder regarded as potato blight. The scarcity of potatoes led to the loss of life of around 1 million human beings who have been based on them as a meals source.
- Although it shares the same name, the sweet potato is a root vegetable and solely loosely associated with the potato.
- Potatoes are sometimes referred to as spuds.
Hi Guys, I have just downloaded the Keto Diet Recipe ebook for free , from https://payhip.com/b/9BKb .For more offers follow @foodmady and download your ebook for free now. #freeebook #ketorecipebook #ketorecipeTweet
Do you enjoy it, please like and comment. Don’t forget to share it with others. Download your keto recipe book for free. There is no affiliate link, its Foodmady own store on payhip. Download now
Become a Coffee Sponsor
If you like content, then you can buy me a coffee and become a coffee sponsor. With the help of coffee sponsorship, I will able to make great content! Thank you