We have started other Did You Know Series, vegetable facts. Today we will talk about Pumpkin facts. A pumpkin is a cultivar of winter squash that is round with smooth, slightly ribbed skin, and most often deep yellow to orange in coloration. The thick shell contains the seeds and pulp. Let’s have some interesting facts in brief
Did you know these amazing facts about Pumpkin?
- Pumpkins are normally orange however can sometimes be yellow, white, green, or red.
- The name pumpkin comes from the Greek phrase ‘pepon’, which means ‘large melon’.
- Pumpkins have thick shells which include pulp and seeds.
- Scientifically speaking, pumpkins are a fruit (they include seeds) however when it comes to cooking, they are often referred to as vegetables.
- Pumpkins are typically shaped like a sphere (ball).
- They range in weight however a common-sized pumpkin may weigh around 13 pounds (6 kilograms).
- Giant pumpkins can be grown for competitions, with some weighing over 1000 pounds! (450 kilograms). In 2010, the world record was 1810 pounds! That’s huge!!
- Pumpkin plants feature both male and woman flowers, with bees generally being involved in pollination (the transfer of pollen).
- Over 1 billion pounds (450 million kgs) of pumpkin are produced in the US every year.
- As a food, pumpkin can be baked, roasted, steamed, or boiled.
- Pumpkin soup is popular, as are roasted pumpkin seeds.
- Pumpkin pie is a sweet dessert that originates in North America and is traditionally eaten during harvest time and vacations such as Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Pumpkins are famous decorations throughout Halloween. A carved pumpkin illuminated by using candles is recognized as a ‘jack-o-lantern’. The tradition is believed to have come from Ireland, where they used to carve faces into turnips, beet, and other root veggies as part of the Gaelic festival of Samhain.
- 100 grams of pumpkin produces around 26 calories of energy.
Love pumpkin? checkout our Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe now
Hi Guys, I have just downloaded the Keto Diet Recipe ebook for free , from https://payhip.com/b/9BKb .For more offers follow @foodmady and download your ebook for free now. #freeebook #ketorecipebook #ketorecipeTweet
Do you enjoy it, please like and comment. Don’t forget to share it with others. Download your keto recipe book for free. There is no affiliate link, its Foodmady own store on payhip. Download now
Become a Coffee Sponsor
If you like content, then you can buy me a coffee and become a coffee sponsor. With the help of coffee sponsorship, I will able to make great content! Thank you