As you know we have started other Did You Know Series, fruit facts. Today we will talk about Strawberry. Did you know that the strawberry is not, from a botanical point of view, a berry? Technically, it is an aggregate accessory fruit, meaning that the fleshy part is derived not from the plant’s ovaries but from the receptacle that holds the ovaries. Each apparent “seed” (achene) on the outside of the fruit is actually one of the ovaries of the flower, with a seed inside it. So let’s start in brief.
Did you know these facts about strawberry?
- Strawberries come from a plant called ‘Fragaria’.
- Strawberries are edible (and rather tasty) but technically they are receptacles (the thickened part of a stem) rather than berries.
- Making things even more confusing, the little hard pieces that appear to be seeded on a strawberry are actually a type of dry fruit (called achene)….that contain their own seeds!
- When ripe, strawberries are bright red, juicy, and very sweet.
- Strawberries have lots of vitamin C.
- Strawberry plants decline in quality and production after a few years so are typically replanted.
- Strawberries are packed with part of the stem still attached.
- Unlike some other fruits, they don’t continue to ripen after being picked.
- A large number of different pests, such as slugs and fruit flies, like to feed on strawberries.
- They are also susceptible to a number of diseases, especially those of the fungal variety.
- Strawberries survive in a range of conditions and will grow happily in most places around the world.
- Strawberries are eaten in a number of different ways including fresh, dried, as a jam, in a drink, or even in a muesli bar.
- Strawberry is also a popular artificial flavor added to a variety of foods.
Love strawberry? try our following recipe just for you
Diet freak, don’t worry we have Keto Diet Series for you
Hi Guys, I have just downloaded the Keto Diet Recipe ebook for free , from https://payhip.com/b/9BKb .For more offers follow @foodmady and download your ebook for free now. #freeebook #ketorecipebook #ketorecipeTweet
Do you enjoy it, please like and comment. Don’t forget to share it with others. Download your keto recipe book for free. There is no affiliate link, its Foodmady own store on payhip. Download now
Become a Coffee Sponsor
If you like content, then you can buy me a coffee and become a coffee sponsor. With the help of coffee sponsorship, I will able to make great content! Thank you