Chicken and Corn Empanadas
Today we are going to make Chicken and Corn Empanadas. Empanadas, which come from the Spanish word for “bread,” are baked or fried turnovers made from bread, pastry, phyllo, or even pizza dough. Find out why empanadas, the Spanish hand-held meal-in-a-pocket, are enjoyed from Buenos Aires to Miami!. So let’s start today’s recipe.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced Oso Sweet onions
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon (hot) crushed red pepper, optional
- 1½ cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 cups (1 pound) diced cooked chicken
- 6 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 14-ounce packages frozen crescent rolls
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- In large skillet, heat oil and lightly brown onions.
- Add pepper, crushed red peppers (if desired), corn, and oregano, and cook 5 minutes over moderate heat or until liquid has mostly cooked away.
- Remove from heat; stir in chicken and cheese, season to taste and chill.
- Unroll crescent dough into two perforated squares.
- Place one square over second square.
- Roll out with a little flour to form a single large rectangular sheet.
- Cut out four circles about 5 in inches in diameter.
- Repeat with remaining package of rolls.
- Refrigerate circles on waxed paper until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Spoon ¼ cup filling into center of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Brush edges with egg mixture.
- Fold over to seal, stretching dough slightly.
- Press edges together while pushing out any air pockets.
- Seal by crimping with the tines of a fork.
- Brush top with egg wash.
- Prick with fork.
- Arrange empanadas on buttered and floured baking pan.
- Refrigerate until ready to bake, up to two days ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until puffy and brown and filling in bubbling hot.
Tips, Notes, and Variations:
- Use rotisserie-roasted chicken.
- Oso Sweet onions are the winter sweet onion from Chile, in season from January to March. They have record-high sugar content, crisp texture, and mild flavor.
- Vidalias would be a reasonable onion substitute if Oso Sweet onions cannot be found.
- You can use this as a base to experiment with any filling or combination you desire
Diet freak, don’t worry we have Keto Diet Series for you
Hi Guys, I have just downloaded the Keto Diet Recipe ebook for free , from https://payhip.com/b/9BKb .For more offers follow @foodmady and download your ebook for free now. #freeebook #ketorecipebook #ketorecipeTweet
Do you enjoy it, please like and comment. Don’t forget to share it with others. Download your keto recipe book for free. There is no affiliate link, its Foodmady own store on payhip. Download now
Become a Coffee Sponsor
If you like content, then you can buy me a coffee and become a coffee sponsor. With the help of coffee sponsorship, I will able to make great content! Thank you